6 Pandemic Pantry Necessity Lists
So, I’ll bet you anything that before the Pandemic nailed us all home, your pantry was…well, something to keep up with…but that’s it.
In all honesty. How much food was stocked away? Enough for a few weeks maybe? A few days? I’m positive it was organized yes. But nothing to write home about ya know!
Look, I’m like you.
This Pandemic threw everything upside down, and a bit more! Now, once I was able to catch my breath, and focus my attention on the immediate – I took, a deep plunge into my dear pantry.
Needless to say, that this in itself became an all consuming ‘thing’ where I learned real fast that I surely needed to be more organized on many fronts.!
So yes, a well-stocked pantry will always serve you well.
By Where Does One Start?
Well, have you ever started cooking and realized that you were missing that one ingredient that can make or break your recipe? Did you ever just stand there, absent-mindedly looking at your pantry and thinking…
What’s in there? When was the last time I clean that place? How about the dates on those boxes…
And the… What is on the back of that shelf!
It’s happened to the best of us! and yes, one way to avoid this is by keeping that small area in our home well organized and updated.
Creating your Master Pantry
By where does one start? What do you really need to keep in storage and what can you do without?
And that’s the thing.
There are so many items you can add…and honestly, will you be using all of them? Are they that essential? How about the bare necessities…the basics…What do you like?
Poll your family. What foods do you eat most? What is needed to create the everyday meals?
What I’ve done below is compile a list of ingredients that I always keep on hand, and restock as soon as possible.
Basic to so many different recipes.
- flour / whole wheat flour / active yeast
- granulated sugar / brown sugar / powdered sugar / honey
- baking powder / baking soda/salt
- pure vanilla extract / cocoa powder
- dark chocolate chips / shredded coconut / nuts
Spices are the key to making meals flavorful and will make wonders out of the simplest of meals. (Fresh & dried herbs)
- oregano / basil / bay leaves / thyme / dried parsley
- crushed red pepper / cayenne pepper / paprika / chili powder / cumin
- nutmeg / allspice / ground cloves / cinnamon
- garlic powder / garlic salt / onion powder / ground ginger
I keep a variety of oils on hand – Great for baking, sautéing & general cooking.
- olive oil / coconut oil / vegetable oil / canola oil
Canned Goods / Stock and Broths
Canned goods choices – depending on your cooking preferences, the list can go on and on with the different choices.
That said, they are basic that you can’t do without.
- Chicken & beef and vegetable stock broths – Use to flavor rice, casseroles, homemade soups, vegetables, and gravies.
- Canned vegetables – for soups, casseroles, and other hearty meat-based dinners.
- Canned tomatoes, Tomato juice, sauce, or paste
Grains, Pasta, and Legumes
Grains and pasta are the easiest and quickest main dish ingredient (or side dish) to make and the easiest to store in your pantry.
- Grains like rice, quinoa, couscous, rolled and steel-cut oats, granola,
- Pastas like spaghetti, fettuccini, shells, macaroni, penned etc.
- Legumes like dried beans, split peas, and lentils – always a great source of protein on your meatless meal day.
- Rice – Brown or white or even long-grain can provide a side dish for any meal.
Condiments and so many others…
Vinegar – Used to create salad dressings and marinades.
Peanut Butter – the good old I don’t know what to eat favorite.
Nuts – Pecans, walnuts, cashews, and peanuts are used in a variety of desserts or just to eat alone.
And the list goes on…As you can see, a well-stocked pantry is primarily based on your style of eating plus the many basics to make it all good!
Look no more and download my Freezer & Pantry Inventory Templates!
* 16 Printable PDF & PowerPoint files 8 1/2 x 11 offered in two (2) different styles
* Pantry Inventory Lined Templates WITH & WITHOUT 'Notes'
Handy. Convenient & Functional...
Everything you need to keep your food supply in good order!